As the number of COVID-19 cases in the community and hospitalizations increase, so does the number of healthcare workers who have tested positive for the virus.
The day-to-day environment in healthcare is fast-paced and at times chaotic - during a pandemic that pace, chaos, stress and strain on the healthcare team increases. As registered nurses, our focus is always on the safety and well-being of our patients and residents first, and sometimes during the chaos, we forget to put our own safety first.
Your continued safety begins with the proper use of personal protective equipment (PPE). To ensure your safety, SUN members are reminded to:
- Know where the PPE supplies are located in your facility.
- Take the time to ensure you have the PPE required to care for your patients based on your Point of Care Risk Assessment (PACR).
- Review protocols for proper PPE use.
- Review proper donning and doffing procedures.
- Remind others on the healthcare team of the proper procedures and protocols.
If you have questions or concerns about access to PPE or use of PPE, please contact your Local President or SUN's Duty Roster for guidance - call 1(800) 667-7060 or 1(800) 667-3294.
RESOURCES TO HELP YOU STAY SAFE
The following are key SHA resources to assist members in using PPE.
- Joint Statement on Principles for Protecting the Health and Safety of Healthcare Workers, Patients, Clients, and Residents (May 20, 2020)
- Point of Care Risk Assessment Algorithm (November 16, 2020)
- Point of Care Risk Assessment Guidelines (November 16, 2020)
- Continuous and Extended Use Guidelines
- PPE Guidelines for Staff in All Health Care Settings* during COVID-19
- PPE Guidelines for Staff in Testing Assessment Sites and Mobile Testing
- Masking Guidelines for Patients/Residents/Clients
- Masking and PPE Guidelines for Family Member/Support Person
- PPE Guidelines for SHA Staff in Non-SHA Operated Community Sites* during COVID-19
- Continuous Masking Principles and Guidelines
- PPE Rapid Update – Level of Mask - (May 20, 2020) - updated September 10, 2020
- PPE Rapid Update - Procedure Masks (October 28, 2020)
- PPE Rapid Update - AerosolGenerating Medical Procedures - When to wear an N95 respirator (February 10, 2020)
- Aerosol Generating Medical Procedures (AGMPs) List (November 26, 2020)
- Additional resources are available at saskatchewan.ca/covid-19