2019 Education Conference: Speak Up. Speak Out
October 17, 2019 | 09:00 - 16:00 (Lunch provided)
International Trade Centre (ITC) at Evraz Place, Regina
“The things we tolerate are the things we show others we are willing to accept. Let’s not let anyone define us as people or a profession. Only we can stand up for ourselves, speak for ourselves and continue to define registered nursing now and into the future.” SUN president, Tracy Zambory, 2019 Annual Meeting.
Truer words have not been spoken. How do we find the courage to take that stand? Where do we find the spark to empower us to speak out? With four (4) distinct plenary sessions, the 2019 Education Conference will provide members with the tools and information needed to take action. During this one-day event, we will discuss:
- The World Around Us
An in-depth look at what is happening in the political and practice environment and the legal trends impacting bargaining and healthcare legislation.
- Impressions from the Bargaining Table
Hear from your Negotiations Committee about the status of bargaining and their perspective on this round of negotiations.
- The Power to Speak Up and Speak Out
Our national president, Linda Silas (CFNU), brings words of empowerment, encouraging SUN members to use their voice to lead change.
- On the Frontlines
Conversations with members about what keeps them up at night and what opportunities lie ahead to create change.
International Trade Centre at Evraz Place - Hall A
1700 Elphinstone St, Regina, SK S4P 2Z6
NOTE: Members are responsible for booking and paying for their own accommodations. A block of hotel rooms have been set aside at the following location:
DELTA HOTELS BY MARRIOTT REGINA
1919 Saskatchewan Drive
Block: 35 Double Queen rooms
Rate: $149 plus taxes/night
Group Code: Saskatchewan Union of Nurses
Release Date: September 24, 2019
Room Share List
To assist members in finding a room sharing partner for the Education Conference, SUN has generated a Public Room Share List (containing name, Local #, city and phone number) for members to view who are seeking a room share partner. It is important to note that SUN will not manage the room sharing. (If you want your name removed from the list after you find a room share partner, please contact Deborah Graham at the Regina SUN office.)
Provincial Funding Opportunity
The 2019 Education Conference will be presented as one main plenary session and offers a total of 200 provincially funded seats, determined by random selection. To be eligible for the random draw, members must register by 12:00 noon on September 26, 2019.
Funding for selected members will be limited to wages, shared hotel accommodations, mileage, meal per diems, and parking (if required) – restrictions do apply (see below).
As per Membership Policy 026-M-2007, approved funding to attend the 2019 Education Conference shall be limited to:
- SUN will provide funding for the actual day of the event – October 17.
- Salary reimbursement shall be categorized as:
- For scheduled shifts (paid Union Leaves): The Employer pays you directly and SUN reimburses your Employer for one shift per day of the event you are attending.
- If attending on a day off, SUN Provincial pays you directly for 8 hours per day of attendance (a TD1 on file at SUN Provincial is required; forms are available from SUN Provincial).
- Roundtrip kilometrage shall be paid to members (drivers only) who travel in excess of 50 kms (one-way). Car-pooling is strongly encouraged.
- As per Membership Policy 038-M-2007, travel time will not be compensated.
- As per Membership Policy 038-M-2007, travel in “lieu of hotel” arrangements must be confirmed with the First-Vice President in advance and such reimbursement will be limited to the cost of the hotel.
- Members are responsible to book and pay for their own accommodations. Please submit your hotel receipt with your expense claim form for reimbursement.
- Accommodations will be reimbursed based on shared accommodations. Room share partners must be identified on your expense claim form. If you do not wish to share a standard room with another SUN member, SUN will reimburse you for half of the room cost.
- Lunch will be provided for this event.
- Reimbursement for meal per diems will be determined through annual budget preparations.
- Funding will not be provided for meals included in the event.
- If staying in a hotel, any in-room dining charges must be reconciled upon check out.
- SUN Provincial will cover the cost of parking expenses; please attach receipts (if available) to your expense claim to be reimbursed.
- Members are encouraged to approach their SUN District Council or Local Executive for those expenses not covered by SUN Provincial.
September 26, 1200 hours - Application for Provincial funding
October 10, 1200 hours - Locally funded or unfunded registrations