At the core of SUN’s strength is our elected leadership. Their compassion for others, dedication to protecting professional and workplace rights of members, and commitment to ensuring the safety of patients that make our union strong.
How do we make our union stronger? We unite and use our collective strength to advocate for positive change.
At each level of leadership lies key components of member and union support and guidance. The following is a brief overview of the roles of Locals, the Board of Directors, and SUN staff regarding member concerns.
- Welcome new members into SUN.
- Administer the affairs of the Local.
- Act as the first point of contact for member concerns.
- Conduct investigations into concerns raised by members.
- Conduct initial, informal meetings with the Employer to resolve issues.
- Work with SUN Staff to escalate member concerns when appropriate.
Board of Directors
- Responsible for the governance and finances of the Union.
- Set the strategic direction of the Union on an annual basis.
- Set key bargaining priorities for contract negotiations.
- Provide support and guidance to Locals regarding day-to-day responsibilities.
- Maintain communication with the Locals they represent.
- Advise Locals regarding nursing concerns and day-to-day functions of the Local.
- Support Locals in escalating members' concerns when appropriate.
- Represent and protect the interests and rights of members, when appropriate, to the Employer.