|As the number of COIVD-19 cases in the community and hospitalizations increase, so does the number of healthcare workers who have tested positive for the virus.
The day-to-day environment in healthcare is fast-paced and at times chaotic - during a pandemic that pace, chaos, stress and strain on the healthcare team increases. As registered nurses, our focus is always on the safety and well-being of our patients and residents first, and sometimes during the chaos, we forget to put our own safety first.
Your continued safety begins with the proper use of personal protective equipment (PPE). To ensure your safety, SUN members are reminded to:
If you have questions or concerns about access to PPE or use of PPE, please contact your Local President or SUN's Duty Roster for guidance.
- Know where the PPE supplies are located in your facility.
- Take the time to ensure you have the PPE required to care for your patients based on your Point of Care Risk Assessment (PACR).
- Review protocols for proper PPE use.
- Review proper donning and doffing procedures.
- Remind others on the healthcare team of the proper procedures and protocols.